[AccessD] [dba-SQLServer] Oracle 11g EX (was: MySQL)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Sep 20 02:24:55 CDT 2011

Hi Arthur et al

Also Oracle sports a free Express version, Oracle 11g XE with these limitations:

* Maximum database size is 11 GB
* Maximum RAM it will use is 1 GB
* Only one instance can be installed on a single computer
* Uses only a single CPU

Here is a guide for the Windows installation (for people like JC encountering the unknown!):

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/InstallOracle11gXE.aspx

Not that I have used it or intend to do so. The last time I tried (Oracle 8i?) it installed a monster suite of tools and yet you had to deal with manual editing of ora files etc. ... I felt much like JC does now facing the WAMP package. Things may have changed, I know, I'm just not ready to meet the challenge (= have no purpose for it).

/gustav