[AccessD] Calculating mileage

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Sep 27 06:52:54 CDT 2011

Before tax time I need to add a module to my inmate checkout to calculate mileage for all legs of a
trip with the inmates.  The database contains records of where we go - the midpoints points - with
addresses, but the database does not have my start / end point (home).

1) Home to prison
2) Prison to first destination in the db
3) First destination to second destination (if any)
4) Second destination to third destination (if any)
5) Last destination to prison
6) Prison to home

I thought I would try to use Microsoft Streets and trips to do the mapping, though I am open to
using Google Maps if there is a programming interface available to the VBA language.

I could of course manually enter the trips into Streets and trips, get the mileage and build a table
of all the "legs" that I have ever done but that is error prone and forces me to do the whole thing
manually.  Also this is in use by other people so it would be nice to build a module that would also
calculate their legs, which I certainly do not want to do myself manually.

If for tax purposes I just assume that we always start from home and end at home I could use
something like Streets and trips (which I have) to calculate all of these legs for each trip and
place them in a table.  At tax time I then have a mileage log for the IRS.

I have never used Streets and Trips for this purpose.  I do know that it has an API and VBA
available for it.  If anyone uses it for this purpose and has a library (or a function) written to
do this that they would share that would be great.  Or a web or help resource for this.

Thanks,