[AccessD] SQL Server advice

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Sep 6 13:23:25 CDT 2011

LOL, that ancient release is lean and mean.  It was designed to run on the platform of the day which
was 32 bit, slow processors and 4 gigs of ram max.

An interesting history lesson.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/euanga/archive/2006/01/19/514479.aspx

We now have 64 bit processors, OSes and SQL Server.

 > With hardware so cheap today...no excuse not to "move up".

Which I am in complete agreement.  I am a 1.36 man show, and yet I have a rockin system.  I am a
developer and as such have access to the action pack which in this specific area is an enormous
plus.  Still, I do mostly have to buy my own hardware.  My strategy was simply to build something
and use it, then upgrade and keep the old parts, using them on other systems.  At this point I have
a dual socket motherboard, dual processors (16 total cores) and 64 gigs of ram.

Just that part costs (today) about $1800.  While that isn't chump change, plenty of rich kids spend
that on their super duper Intel processor and a video card for gaming.

My server supports SQL Server in a style that helps the work get done quickly.

My client has 25 people in the database, they pay probably 40K or more a *month* in salary for those
users.  From my perspective it is insane to quibble about a one time cost of $20K (good for at least
5 years) to buy a power server to run the data side of that business.  4K a year to support 25
employees costing you a half million a year in salary is a pretty darned good deal.

I actually spend about 4K a year just to support my 1.36 person company, and I consider that a good
deal.