[AccessD] mysql BE for Access?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Sep 15 07:47:34 CDT 2011

Arthur,

I purchased your e-book.

Since you seem to be the resident expert...

How doable is this?

The database is currently Access MDB based, split into about 5 different BEs because of data size
and speed issues.  ~ 180 tables, ~ 10 major tables, ~1.2 million records in the largest major table.
  The data itself is not extraordinarily large as databases go, probably about 5 gigs today and up
to 10 gigs in the next few years.

   ~25 users in the database all day every day.

The server is currently a 4 physical core Intel based Dell server circa early 2K, running Windows
2000 x32, with 4 gigs of RAM.  Replacing the server is in the plan but not in the immediate future -
not in 2011.

1) What are realistic server hardware requirements?
2) Is MySQL highly threaded?  Will a modern high core count processor help?  Lots of memory?
3) Can I migrate existing mdbs / tables to mysql easily, quickly and safely?
4) Are there tools to assist with this?  Can it be scripted?
5) Can I link back to these tables using odbc in a manner similar to what I do in SQL Server?
6) What is performance like?
7) Can mysql enforce relational integrity and all that?
8) Are there gui tools for table and index creation?
9) Any tricks or things I need to understand going in?

Arthur, as mentioned I have purchased your book and will read it but I thought I'd get a discussion
started about the reality of actually using mysql long term for a real production database with an
Access front end, specifically the pain of setting up MySQL and doing the conversion.

Anything anyone can tell me is most appreciated.