[AccessD] Access to MySQL conversion

Michael michaeljrobertson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 17:38:59 CDT 2011

John,

You might also have a look at Navicat for MySQL -
http://www.navicat.com/en/products/navicat_mysql/mysql_overview.html

I personally use the Premium Version of Navicat to manage remote databases,
develop complex queries, create views, triggers, UDFs and so on. I use MySQL
as the backend for dynamic websites I build here in Australia - the hosts
are in California. While phpMyAdmin is useful and free, it doesn't compare
to the Navicat product which of course costs ($199 for the MySQL version).

While this may sound like an advertisement for Navicat (it isn't) I simply
can't do without Navicat (I use the Premium Edition which covers most of the
major DBs). At the very least I recommend that you have a look at the
product - it has a 30 day free trial.

As an experiment I imported a few tables from an Access database, across the
WAN and it worked well. I didn't choose anything too complex deliberately,
but from what I saw it has all of the features you might need for a
migration from Access to MySQL plus the ongoing benefit of DB Management. I
do all my DB development work directly in Navicat.

I also use Access as a front-end to MySQL for complex site maintenance
activities - using ODBC for that.

Hope that helps.

Rgeards,

Michael