[AccessD] [dba-SQLServer] Oracle 11g EX (was: MySQL)

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 20 13:01:19 CDT 2011

Gustav:

Actually, you can down load Oracles full enterprise version (at least the
last time I looked...Oracle version 11i) but it is limited in how many
connection and users can have access to it. In addition, if you do call for
support you will be directed to a local resource person(s).

This system was created so computer science students and small consultant
firms could get up to speed in the product.

The major difference between Oracle and MS SQL is that in Oracle you can
modify and optimize everything. Managing queues, temp tables, transactions,
sizes and recovery points. Microsoft has chosen to eliminate or automate
most of the fine-tuning part of data management.

This is good and it is bad.

OOH, a tech can spend years learning the black-art of database control,
tuning everything to the nth degree as well as building a very precise set
of reports and intergrating various Oracle servers. Rest assured, if a
company has a medium and larger site there must be a full-time tech there.
Oracle is also very careful on just how many techs are allowed to pass their
exams so the rate at which a fully qualified Oracle tech is paid very well.

OTOH, a MS SQL site is far more easily setup. A person with a bit of
database knowledge can put together a stable SQL site in less than a day. It
may not be a fully optimized site but it will work and render the expected
results. Some tech can learn as they go and MS is not concerned about
whether the person asking for database support is a person that owns a
plumbing company or a fully certified tech. Microsoft's exams, though
thorough, do not restrict the number of qualified graduates...the more the
merrier. The rate a small company will pay a MS SQL qualified person is
usually much lower than an Oracle tech with similar qualifications.

Much like Microsoft has entrenched itself in new desktop computers and the
office application markets, Oracle has tied up most of the high end database
market.

The other major difference is cost; MS SQL is about a third of the cost of
an Oracle suite.

Jim