[AccessD] Global Vars (was Ambiguous Name)

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 10:55:13 CDT 2011

I used to be the strongest argue-er for static functions, but then Access
trumped with with its collection, and now I lean that way. It took a
considerable amount of rewriting old apps, but the benefits are IMO
abundant. If you have A2K7+ then look at the NorthWind app for evidence of
how cool this works.

To put it another way, globals are a bad idea, no matter what the scenario,
IMO. In the old days, static functions were better. Then came JC's
class-approach, which had beauty and class and ease of use, albeit with one
downfall -- loading it into any new app is guaranteed to waste a bunch of
memory irrelevant to this particular app; but RAM is cheap and the price is
OK, but that said, I do choose to occupy the minimal amount of RAM, and that
said, I load the library and see which functions/subs are not called and
then remove them, so in theory the footprint is smaller.

A.