[AccessD] Global Vars (was Ambiguous Name)

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Sep 22 14:25:50 CDT 2011

Again, globals are not a 'bad idea'.  Globals can be misused.  I don't
think anyone can argue that.  But almost anything can be misused.

A global variable is merely a specific scope for a variable.  You have
procedural, modular and global.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:55 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Global Vars (was Ambiguous Name)

I used to be the strongest argue-er for static functions, but then
Access trumped with with its collection, and now I lean that way. It
took a considerable amount of rewriting old apps, but the benefits are
IMO abundant. If you have A2K7+ then look at the NorthWind app for
evidence of how cool this works.

To put it another way, globals are a bad idea, no matter what the
scenario, IMO. In the old days, static functions were better. Then came
JC's class-approach, which had beauty and class and ease of use, albeit
with one downfall -- loading it into any new app is guaranteed to waste
a bunch of memory irrelevant to this particular app; but RAM is cheap
and the price is OK, but that said, I do choose to occupy the minimal
amount of RAM, and that said, I load the library and see which
functions/subs are not called and then remove them, so in theory the
footprint is smaller.

A.