[AccessD] Calculating mileage

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Sep 27 14:51:06 CDT 2011

 >   I fail to see how putting your mileage in is doing it manually.

It absolutely is doing it manually.  I have to remember to take my phone (I have actually left it
behind occasionally).  I have to manually open the program and enter the odometer reading.  I have
to remember to enter it again when I get home.  I have to manually pull it out of the phone into a
spreadsheet, and then I have to design calculations to...

All pretty much manual.

 >Unless you have a sensor in you automobile, you're putting something in somewhere.

As I explained in the previous emails, there is a database where I build pass requests for checking
inmates out of prison.  The paperwork (the reason for the databases' existence) requires actual
lines on a paper saying that I am taking inmate XYZ to this physical location (with street address)
from date time ABC to (same) date (different) time DEF.

So in order to check anyone out I have to fill out this paperwork which I do in a database, print
out and fax to the prison.  These database records record the physical locations (addresses), thus
my original question about how to get the mileage from address X to address Y.

I have a table with literally hundreds of records about picking guys up at the prison, taking them
to a meeting at some address, then to eat at some other address.  What is missing (but is easy to
create programmatically) is my house to the prison and the prison back to my house.

My vision is a small process that is run on my server which every day scans the pass request table
for records not yet processed, and builds these mileage records in a mileage table.  If this runs
daily, then any database user (volunteer) can just run a report to display his mileage for a time
period - last week, month or year.  The report can list the trips and segments as a log for IRS
documentation and multiply by 55c / mile (or whatever the current rate is) for entering into the
correct tax form.  For the average Joe (me) who does not employ a book keeper this seems infinitely
preferable to any alternative I can think of.