[AccessD] Newegg.com - Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3D4R9S/8G

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Apr 3 16:06:21 CDT 2012

 > What about IBM 360 mainframe with MFT OS with 256-512 KB of RAM

LOL, that is a (relatively) modern machine.  I was trained to fix the Univac 642B, and maintained
them until I left the US Navy in 1978.

http://www.dluper.com/CP642B.html
http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/univac-ntds.html

Ahh the good old days.  We actually learned each and every page of the schematics of the machine,
and could use an o'scope to find any bad module.  The schematics said that it was designed in 1958,
and what you see in the pictures are discrete transisters, resisters and capacitors making up the
logic gates.  Each such card was a single flip-flop, or a pair of And / OR gates.  Each metal can is
a single transistor.

I almost bought one when I got out of the Navy (surplus - they were being retired) but the power
consumption was so high I couldn't possible feed the machine.  Not to mention that my Z-80 s-100 bus
computer I had just finished building was about a dozen times more powerful and fit in a small suitcase.

;)

 > Ever tried to "feed" such a "beast" with punchcards/control it via typewriting console?

Yep.  Paper tape as well, although by the early 70s (when I was trained to fix these monsters) we
were using 3/4" tape and mechanically actuated "disc pack" IBM hard drives.  IIRC the 10 platter IBM
disc packs held about 20 mb each.  That's 40 r/w heads to get 20 MB.

The IBM 1301 Model 2 was what we used AFAICT.

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_1301.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_IBM_magnetic_disk_drives#IBM_350

These systems ran the USS Kennedy Aircraft Carrier back in those days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_John_F._Kennedy_%28CV-67%29

I was on the Kennedy from 1975 to 1978.  I was on board when we ran over the USS Belknap.  The
following shows a picture of her after the collision and resulting fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Belknap_%28CG-26%29

The collision sheared the jet fuel piping off the side of the carrier and dumped jet fuel down the
Belknap's stacks, igniting the ammunition magazines and blowing the bottom out of the ship.

But I digress rather severely!  ;)

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away