[AccessD] The coming in-memory database tipping point. - SQL Server Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Sun Apr 22 12:45:08 CDT 2012

> Evolution promises to give all desirable traits, then doesn't deliver.

This is not completely accurate. Evolution, in the basic sense, is the process whereby a species is able to adapt in order to survive and fight another day. Evolution is a description of the mechanism behind that process. It is not an actual guiding entity or force.

Think of it as programming code. Not all your code is going to be perfectly clean and ideal. When times are good, you will probably get a bit lazy and output code that is not exactly optimal (but it works). However, some sort of selective pressure occurs and the market suddenly decides that it really needs X feature. While many companies are losing money, because they aren't able to quickly adapt to this new reality, your code, while not optimal, happens to be well positioned to adapt to this with a few tweaks. It's a fluke, but such is life - a grand game of roulette.

With any game of chance, the winners always have the impression that they were somehow in control and this was predetermined, but that is an illusion.

History is written by the victors, after all. There is no promise, so to speak.

Hans