[AccessD] OT Contract Rates

Jim Hewson jm.hwsn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 11:25:29 CDT 2012

Paul, there are a lot of calculations to go into something like this.
I worked for a company a few years ago working on proposals for contracts.
This gave me the edge when I ventured out into the contracting world.

If this is only part-time work, I would just double my hourly pay.  Keep in
mind that you would be considered a 1099 worker and that approximately 40%
of the gross will go into taxes (in the US) and you'll need to make
quarterly payments to IRS.
If you will be working a lot of hours... then typically, an employee would
cost the employer between 2 to 2.5 times the hourly pay.
Keep in mind a full time self-employed contractor, has to pay themselves
for holidays, vacation, sick time, all benefits, expenses and required
adminitrative time that must be spent away from the job.  All that must be
calculated in the hourly rate.

So... bottom line - for a few hours every now and then... double your
hourly pay.

HTH
Jim

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Paul Hartland <paul.hartland at googlemail.com