[AccessD] MoveFirst needed in DAO?

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Thu Aug 9 02:00:12 CDT 2012

Thanks Gustav, that is good to know.

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com [mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Gustav Brock
Sent: Thursday, 9 August 2012 5:07 PM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [AccessD] MoveFirst needed in DAO?

Hi Darryl

True, if you need a precise count, you have to do a MoveLast.

However, in most cases I don't care how many records, I just need to loop these. If you just have opened a DAO recordset, I've never seen anything else than it was positioned at the first record. Thus, I don't even have to check for records:

  Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(strSQL)
  While rst.EOF = False
    ' do something
    rst.MoveNext
  Wend

because if the recordset is empty, the loop is skipped.
Of course, if the loop runs and you will then run another loop, you then have to move to the first record:

  If rst.RecordCount > 0 Then
    rst.MoveFirst
  EndIf

So I was just wondering if anyone had experienced situations where the recordset right after the initial opening was positioned anywhere else than the first record. It doesn't seem so.

/gustav

>>> darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au 09-08-12 1:34 >>>
In many instances I have need to know how many records are found, to do that you need to movelast then movefirst.  Especially if you are then going to loop thru those records.  Of course, often you don't care how many are found and a >0 count will do.

If I am going to loop I will always put in a  MoveFirst to be sure it is at the top.  Maybe redundant?