[AccessD] 6 MB to 32 MB by Changing 15 Table Defs

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Thu Aug 16 14:20:49 CDT 2012

All,

We have an Access 2007 Reporting Application that pulls data from 15
Firebird Database tables via ODBC.

The application works nicely.  Its size has been approximately 6 MB for
several months.

Recently, I added a small amount of new VBA code to modify the
"TableDef.Connect" for each of the 15 tables in order to easily switch
back and forth between our "Test" and "Prod" Firebird Databases.

The new code works nicely.

However, I noticed that the size of the accdb file has grown from 6 MB
to 32 MB because of the new code.

I have run some additional tests and I can consistently see the large
increase in size when the new code is executed. (None of the tables were
even opened, no data was accessed)

I am curious how changing 15 Table Defs could possibly add 26 MB to the
size of the accdb file.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks,

Brad

PS.  I first noticed this on the night of the recent Mars Landing    :-)