[AccessD] I love the Nexus

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Thu Aug 30 12:38:22 CDT 2012

Excellent Info -- Thanks!

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:50 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] I love the Nexus

If you are going for large print, you probably want to avoid the 7" form
factor since there just isn't enough screen area to go very big print.

I don't have a 10" so I can't say for sure but I would guess that would be
fine, however when you get that big (I have read) they are not real
comfortable to hold "like a book" for long periods.

As to comparisons, I prefer the e-readers for ease of reading except that
they are not back-lit so reading them in low light isn't possible. e-ink
really is very easy on the eyes.

After that, the Kindle Fire and Nexus are "equivalent".

Original Kindle:  	600×800
Kindle Fire: 		1024×600
Google Nexus 7:		1280x800

Supposedly the higher resolution screens cause less eye strain.

The other thing to know is that the original Kindles do not have the
accelerometer so it doesn't
(can't) "rotate" the screen to landscape mode.

I have been doing a lot of reading lately and I like the original Kindle or
the Nexus.

The Nexus is significantly lighter than the Kindle Fire and easier to hold.
That said, the Kindle "Fire 2" is right around the corner so we shall see
what that tablet looks like.  I would use the Fire if I couldn't use either
of the others.

I really like that the Nexus isn't "locked in" to the Amazon store.  The
Nexus can use either the Google Play store or, by using the browser, you can
buy things from Amazon although the experience isn't as smooth as through
the kindle Fire.  The Amazon web page is really crowded, designed for large
screen computers, not (small) tablet friendly at all.

And finally, I actually rooted my Fire and loaded an alternate desktop which
I can get at if I want to but I never really use that.

Because of the front facing camera and the GPS circuit, the Nexus is in a
different league from the current Kindle Fire in terms of capability.
Again, my son (without any help from me) got on the Google Map, put in a
starting point (Syracuse) and end point (Hudson), downloaded maps for the
trip from Syracuse NY to Hudson, NC and was telling mom that her dedicated
GPS was taking them the right way.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away