[AccessD] OT: portable headphone amps.

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Feb 2 08:58:07 CST 2012

Hi John

Oh, µ741 (or UA741, LM741, whatever) ... those were the days!

I still have a 4U rack mounted 2 x 30W line/power amp (including line transformers) I build in the mid 70s from mostly two opamps and a set of NPN/PNP output stages. All in- and outputs are with original Cannon XLR3 connectors which was highly advanced (and expensive!) of that time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon_plug

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 02-02-2012 15:15 >>>
As you have probably gathered, I have many interests, including DIY various things.  I have built a
DIY CMOY headphone amp, see discussion here:

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/cmoy-with-gain.html

which I ended up giving away to my brother-in-law who is mostly deaf.

Anyway, I ran across an interesting blog for a DIY headphone amp.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/o2-headphone-amp.html

If you read that you will find links to other blog pages discussing many details of the design and
electronics.  I started my career in electronics back in the 70s and loved op amps in particular.
It has been a loooong while since I really studied electronics but it still fascinates me.

Enjoy.

Colby Consulting