[AccessD] ODBC linked views fail in Access 2010

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 5 12:21:54 CST 2012

Hi John:

If I did not know better it sounds like the application via MS is making
assumptions. It is saying that the address must be local; either in the
10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 198.xxx.xxx.xxx. You may have to set it up as UNC type
address like \\5.xxx.xxx.xxx (In some programs, addresses like 5.xxx... are
considered illegal being outside the standard address bandwidth.)

The only reason that the 5.xxx... series of addresses are not challenged by
the system is that they are managed at both the source and destination ends
by Hamachi. New routers can stop Hamachi dead as they block all ports and
addresses and only allow connection via addresses/ports/protocol types and
even subnets, specifically entered into the allow list. LogMeIn has a core
of Hamachi but they can proxy the addresses through port 80 if the required.

In the long run maybe you should look at such solutions as OpenVPN
(http://openvpn.net/), which has equal level of encryption, better security
and a greater range of flexibilty. (Also the pricing is favourable for your
type of project.)

An aside: If your address is infact 5.123.456.789 that's your problem. ;-)

Jim