[AccessD] My Comments

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Feb 18 20:10:53 CST 2012

Tony,

I think you miss the point of a list.

If everyone sends their rely to the OP:
1. No one else learns from it so the same thing would be asked again and again
2. The OP gets lots of messages all saying the same thing.
3. You would never see any alternatives to expand your viewpoint.
4. There are lots of "lurkers" on any list, who never post questions or answers but learn a lot
from everything posted.

Just think of how many times youe see several alternative methods to solve a query on the
list and how many times you see someone say something like:

"your answer only works if...., but if you do this...., it also works for...."
or
"this is an easier/clearer/faster way than X's solution....."
and also
"I like X's solution much better than the way I have solved this in the past"

Over the years I have leanrt a lot from people's answers to questions.  I have seen a lot of
solutions to problems that I didn't have at that time, but which I was later able to apply.

--
Stuart