[AccessD] Back to Web Browser ActiveX

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon Feb 20 17:16:33 CST 2012

Hi John and Tony --

> I have not tried automating it for Web browsing, that is probably a whole
> new can of beans full of complexities.
Yes, it's not trivial but you can get a stable MS Web Browser control automation solution by using C# (or VB.NET), and properly written apps will run for days/many hours till they will have to be restarted because MS Web Browser control is known to be a source of memory leakage...

>  I spent hours trying to
> automate it.  In the end I failed
It requires days/a couple of weeks to get accustomed with its automation -  then it becomes "your friend" ready to fulfill promptly most of your commands/tasks...

The main trick is to find a way of controlling Web Browser control from a worker thread, and it's known that Web Browser control is running in the main WinForm thread. When that task of controlling Web Browser control from a worker thread solved then you can have many web browser controls instances on one WinForm (e.g. on different TabControl tabs) all running smoothly in not blocking UI mode...

Thank you.

-- Shamil