[AccessD] Module there but completely invisible

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 21 08:26:36 CST 2012

I was working on code and did something (shortcut keys, not sure exactly what) and a class module
disappeared.  I first discovered it when I tried to compile and my code that initialized the class
complained that the object didn't exist.  Sure enough, the class module in the database window did
not exist.

So I imported the class from a backup and it came in with a 1 at the end.  Say what?

I tried to take the 1 off and the editor informed me that there was already an object with that
name.  No such module (class) in the database window.  However... suddenly my code that instantiates
the "missing" code is no longer complaining (it compiles).  Furthermore I can now get into the
module itself by Shft-F2 on a property or method of the class.  So importing the class module from
the backup "repaired" the compiler's link tables but the module itself is still totally invisible in
the database window.  And I don't mean the visible property is set false (I checked that), I mean
"she ain't there!".

Decompile / compile / compact / repair cycle works, but the module is still not "there" in the db
window.

I exported the module as a text file and looked at it thinking perhaps one of the hidden attributes
was changed or something but nope, nothing different there.  I even deleted the contents of the
module and reimported from that text and saved, still not visible.

Kinda cool when you think about it, the ultimate stealth code, there somewhere and can be gotten at
if you follow a method or something but otherwise entirely invisible.

Of course what it really means is that my container is corrupt and so I have to punt.

Sigh.

I'm wondering if I can delete it through the editor object but it has been a long time since I
looked at that object.

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it