[AccessD] SQL Server Native Client 10.0 bug?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Feb 27 11:30:53 CST 2012

Hi John

I would suspect that line to read:

Server=5.123.456.789:1433

or - as 1433 is the default port - simply:

Server=5.123.456.789

Perhaps the comma is read as a field separator - though that normally is a semicolon.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 27-02-2012 16:54:37 >>>
I link tables to SQL Server 2008 from Access using an IP address so that the tables can be accessed
over the internet.  Using Hamachi VPN I can link to the Hamachi IP address of the machine hosting
the SQL Server, i.e. instead of saying something like

Server=Azul

I can say something like

Server=5.123.456.789,1433.

Since the SQL Server machine is running Hamachi and owns that IP address, this works well whether I
am coming at the SQL Server over the internal network or from outside of my network.

When I try to use SQL Server Native Client 10.0 with Access 2K3 or below it just works.  When I try
to use Access 2010, the connection info looks correct, but if I try to open the table / view it
complains that it is unable to open

"SQL Server Native Client 10.5.123.456.789,1433".

IOW something somewhere (probably in Access itself) appends the driver name

"SQL Server Native Client 10."

to the server name

"5.123.456.789,1433"

and ends up with a server name of that entire thing

"SQL Server Native Client 10.5.123.456.789,1433".

Remember that this all works fine in Access 2003.  As a result of this bug, I have to use "SQL
Server" as the driver (the generic ODBC driver I guess), whereupon the table links work just fine in
Access 2003 or Access 2010.

Sigh!

As Dan mentioned, the "Native client" is supposed to be many times faster and it would be so nice to
be able to use that.

Colby Consulting