[AccessD] OT: Make shares available over the internet

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Feb 27 13:20:19 CST 2012

Hi John

One option is to set up an FTP server with a (virtual) folder for each client with individual access rights and related credentials not related to your internal Windows user rights. IIS can do this, and you can log in to the server via the standard FTP command line client native of Windows. Not fancy but it works.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 27-02-12 17:37 >>>
As I mentioned, I am doing quite a bit of Access FE linked over the internet to SQL Server.  I use
Hamachi to create VPNs which are private, i.e. you have to be invited to join.  Once I OK your join
then you can "see" the server and the SQL Server instance.  Hamachi has a Browse function which
allows browsing shares on the remote machine, and SQL Server answers up at the IP address so that works.

I am trying to invent a way to allow running a batch file on the user workstation which would pull
the FE and the frameworks over the internet from my server to the workstation.  ATM getting new
versions installed is a "I do it" thing.  This is unworkable in the long term so I have to find an
automation method.

My biggest issue is security.  The VPN is private of course, however I have several different
networks all connecting to the same server.  In order to have security between the networks I have
to have some kind of username / password for each network which has rights to a shared directory.
At the workstation end, that username has to be used to get at the share which it then has rights
to.  The problem I am running into is that while that works, the end user has to know / remember /
use the password when the shared folder is accessed.  I am not finding a way to allow the batch file
which I would use to download specific files to pass the password to hamachi or whatever is asking
for the password.

Am I making any sense here?

Five different Hamachi networks.  Each network has its own username / password able to access its
own shared directory.  Each workstation has to "know" about its username / password in order to
access the share over Hamachi.  Much too much to expect of every user.

I'm not sure where to go with this.

Colby Consulting