[AccessD] Creating a shortcut programmatically

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jan 5 07:52:52 CST 2012

I am building an application to Copy files and then open one of the files copied which is an Access
application.  I have an Access Fe to handle the data entry for setting up the files being copied
etc, plus a C# application to handle the actual automation required to do the copy and open.  I then
point the user to a shortcut to perform this Copy and Open.

I found the following code on the internet which allows me to create the shortcut itself
programmatically using the information entered into the Access tables.

'
' CreateShellShortcut()
'
' TargetName - The file that would be launched when the shortcut is clicked.
' TargetArguments - Command line parameters to TargetName.
' TargetDescription - The description of the shortcut.
' ShortcutFileName - The shortcut file name including the .lnk extension.
'
' Copyright (C) 2002 OfficeOne
'
Sub CreateShellShortcut(ByVal TargetName As String, _
     ByVal TargetArguments As String, _
     ByVal TargetDescription As String, _
     ByVal ShortcutFileName As String)

     Dim WSH As Object
     Dim Shortcut As Object

     Set WSH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
     Set Shortcut = WSH.CreateShortcut(ShortcutFileName)
     With Shortcut
         .TargetPath = TargetName
         .Arguments = TargetArguments
         .Description = TargetDescription