[AccessD] Burn-out

William Benson vbacreations at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 01:05:27 CST 2012

Art,

I disagree only with the "in any app" part and I don't feel I am even
splitting hairs.

Unless your definition of a novice is someone more advanced than I have in
mind.

While I might give an app to a novice to do for me I, i dont like to share
work until mostly in production. MS Access apps require constant awareness
of most of what the database is doing and I have learned painful lessons
about handing off my database to someone else to split load. Almost always
I find they can't do much without fiddling with what I have done or am
working on and vice versa... no matter how close or far apart we are in
skill level. Therefore in any serious MS Access database with moving parts
and VBA... there is no way I will again give a project I am doing to
another novice developer to share.

The only exception might be table setup. But even then i have to inspect
and test and there are handoff and schedule issues... not worth it, i find
i may as well dive in myself when i am ready to focus on it.

Where I have made an exception is letting another developer chew on my
database so he could learn. But that was investment for each of us, not
dividing up the work per se. That person may be reading this ;) so let me
be clear I am not disparaging him or his work! Just pointing. Out it was
frustrating for both of us and if not for the non-production (ie,
professional development ) side benefits,  I am sure no novice nor I would
consider it a winning development strategy.

Otherwise I agree with all you said.