[AccessD] Svar: Re: Where to publish stuff

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Jul 13 08:55:47 CDT 2012

Hi Shamil

There are two threads:

One on what to do to raise member count and message count on this list?
Should we move/transform the mailing list to a forum-style or group-style and how to handle the battle with noise, spam, trolls, and adds - to keep the good spirit we are used to here.
To create "an arm" of AccessD on LinkedId was a proposal.

Another about where to publish small articles of the "How to something .." style including code.
CodeProject is not dealing with Access stuff.

/gustav

>>> mcp2004 at mail.ru 13-07-12 15:12 >>>
Hi Gustav --

A "Database Advisors" linked-in Group? What *then about this Access-D and dba-VB and other of Database Advisors discussion lists?

I'm for several years in MS Access-related and other Linked-in groups, mainly "lurking" because the level on discussions/feedback isn't looking satisfactory - a lot of "noise" *(IMO) coming from non-OT Linked-in postings (and OT messages (except job postings) are not welcomed there)...

Here in Access-D we have quite a few of off-topic threads (and I'm sorry being the one who started some off-topic threads here and participated/participating in other) still this group is the best for me concerning MS Access related stuff, and the "feeling of family" we have here is unique as Charlotte noted*...

Another very good MS Access-related list is Access-L...*

What kind of articles do you plan to publish?
Can you split them into several small parts?
I missed the beginning of this thread - did you consider using Code Project (http://www.codeproject.com/) to post your artilces?

StackOverflow is a source where IMO you can always get a qualified answer on your questions, sometimes very detailed answer comes in minutes, but StackOverflow isn't looking as a right place to post long articles/questions...

What about "Forum: Access for Developers" http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/threads*at MSDN's Access Developer Center -*http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905400.aspx*? (I have never participated in it - anybody? - it could be now what were in the past *UseNet's*microsoft.public.access.* newsgroups?)

And comp.databases.ms-access - does anybody here is (still) participating in it/using it? It was always very active and responsive especially in the first part of 90-ies when MS Access was in big favor everywhere and "everything was new with using MS Access in application development"... ( I have just found one of my postings from this group from Nov 1994 -*https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/comp.databases.ms-access/jnPyljxvdjc*:) )

Thank you.

-- Shamil