[AccessD] Where to publish stuff

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Jul 15 06:03:32 CDT 2012

Hi Jim --

Yes, DNN is known to have uneasy route when upgrading DNN-driven web sites from version to version 3.x -> 4.x,  4.x->5.x but 5.x -> 6.x transition is working much better AFAIHH.

And as I have noted previously if DatabaseAdvisors web site will be ever moved to DNN platform then it will be mainly using HTML and other DNN modules, which shouldn't be an issue to upgrade (will that upgrade be needed at all? - DNN v.6.x looks "perfect"): at least there always be export/import modules contents manual or automated upgrade route/option to apply...

As for hosting - PowerDNN (http://www.powerdnn.com/Hosting/CreateaNewSite/ChooseaPlan/tabid/292/Default.aspx) (or similar options) looks good for me - their start-up plan (USD50/month) - does it look affordable for DatabaseAdvisors? I personally would not mind to Paypal 50-100 USD if there will be made a decision within DatabaseAdvisors group/boards of directors to move to DNN platform. When the new site will be up&running and when/if it will attract more traffic it could be possible to try to monetize it using AdWords etc. to try to earn money for PowerDNN "Small Business" hosting plan - USD100/months. Of course it's easy to say but not easy to do...

Another up-front spending would be a custom DNN skin for DatabaseAdvisors site - it would cost around USD1000 for good professional skin with not that much graphics AFAIK - here again I'd not mind to PayPal some money to collect the whole sum together than try to do that skin design by ourselves as this work requires knowing DNN skinning "tricky" details which I personally don't know...

As for porting current DatabaseAdvisors contents to a DNN site - we can share that work - as you proposed we can first make prototype site and then move it to a hosting site...

But please the will to move to DNN shouldn't be just mine, Gustav's, yours - the initiative/support/participating group should be (much) larger - everybody is busy with their own business ...

Thank you.

-- Shamil