[AccessD] What's New in Access 2013?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 19 13:11:54 CDT 2012

Hi John:

Actually you can do anything with a browser but it just takes a whole
different way of thinking.

Many awesome database systems have been designed to run through the web and
they support thousands of users quickly and efficiently. Check out all the
banks, insurance companies and every franchises POS system...they are all
web based...with very minor exceptions like the hybrids which are rapidly
disappearing.

I have built a couple of proprietary, in-house, intranet browser interface
applications. They are not nearly as pretty as I could make today. All you
need is a server with a web server installed like IIS or Apache. (I have
used Apache a few times but am hardly more than a novice.) Fortunately, the
price is right for either.

I have recently been approached to write a web based application that has
the same appearance and feel of an Access DB application. It will take about
a year but the new client pays me a monthly amount so there is no super
rush...but it is very possible. In fact I can add features that Access could
never supply or just simple features that would take a good VB programmer a
week to write but on a web site would take just minutes to install. There is
of course years of code that have re-written and abandoned.

In the web-based field there are some really incredible innovations going on
and here is just something to wet your appetite with the development of
HTML5.

http://html5demos.com/

(Unfortunately, for the most part IE has refused to play but really who
cares anymore?)

Jim