[AccessD] Fun and games in web design

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 21 12:04:19 CDT 2012

MySQL...they are mad. (They are actually using HiveDB in combination with
MySQL or they would never be able to keep the thing together otherwise.)

I assumed because Facebook had donated so much time and money into the
ongoing development of Hadoop, they would be associated with it. Apparently,
they are not looking at how to improve their system but looking for a
life-boat.

It will be interesting to see which way Facebook finally migrates as we know
they must.

The author sighted NewSQL as the next logical step but all are in their
infancy...many are cloud based and the products he quoted were not OSS,
which means no Start-up company, the next big thing, will ever be able to
afford to use them. In the OSS world VoltDB, H-Store, HyperSQL, Drizzle
(refactored MySQL) and of course the new version one Postgres-XC.

Jim