[AccessD] SQL Server Encrypted field

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jun 8 22:05:57 CDT 2012

I hear ya.  This system allows users to send Community Volunteer pass requests in to the prison
system on behalf of the Community Volunteer.  IOW the CV puts the db on their system, fills out a
pass, and the database emails it off to the prison.

I went out and created a generic GMail account for the program to use and so the way it works now is
that they fill out the pass and the program uses this generic gmail account to send to the prison.
This works fine except that the prison cannot reply to the email because it goes back to my generic
email account which I do not monitor.

I guess this is the way this is generally handled and I am fine with that.  It is possible though
unlikely that there could be hundreds or even thousands of users of this database located across the
state of North Carolina.  If that were to ever happen I would need to do something else because
GMail has limits like 500 emails per day.

My first user asked if he could receive replies to the email.  The answer obviously is no, unless he
gives me an Gmail account of his own to use to send the emails.  Then my program could send using
his account.  I could of course just store it (the email / username / password) local on his copy of
the database too.

I have set up GMail code that I just pulled off the web to do this stuff.  I have no idea whether
the same kind of thing could be used for other types of email addresses but I really don't want to
get into the business of holding users hands getting their email set up in my program.

Oh well.  What I have works.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away