[AccessD] Dvorak's rant on Windows 8

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Jun 10 14:57:13 CDT 2012

Hi Hans --

As I noted I haven't used Win8 yet.
Does it have [Windows Key] + R disabled?
They say one can use search feature to search for and to run apps - isn't that feature screen/dialog made visible/pops-up by using some hot keys ([Windows Key] + S]? Or even if it has a key it isn't so useful because it's slow in searching for programs to run or because ...?

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Sun, 10 Jun 2012 02:15:55 -0700 от Hans-Christian Andersen <hans.andersen at phulse.com>:

> Hi Shamil,
>
> I did indeed try the Win8 preview. Despite all the reasoning, which I applaud Microsoft for making an effort to come up with a creative solution to the problem, I still feel like they came up with a solution which is jarring to even the most seasoned user. Personally, I much prefer the Linux way of being able to bring up a small console that allows you to type in the application name. This is something even Apple OS X has copied, while, on Windows 7, almost sort of existed in the start menu. But, even if you are a complete beginner, you are able to figure out how to get to your applications. On Windows 8, finding your applications is a bit of a nuisance because you are forced into the Metro interface just to launch something as simple as notepad. There is no quick method, nor anything familiar for a previous Windows user. For myself, a tech professional, it actually took me a bit of time to figure out how to even get to my applications. Something about this just seems wrong. Please tell me there is a better way than having to exit the desktop and go back into Metro and then jump to the applications section of Metro in order to launch an application. Because, if so, it really wasn't all that obvious to me. Your applications should only be one or two clicks away at most.
>
> Hans
>

> On 2012-06-10, at 12:02 AM, Salakhetdinov Shamil wrote:
>
> > Hi Hans --
> >
> > Here Steven Sinofsky  explains the reasoning of Win8 start screen UI design:
> >
> > "Designing the Start screen"
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/04/designing-the-start-screen.aspx
> >
> > Don't miss to read comments but the best would be to try Win8 Preview, did you? (I didn't yet)
> >
> > -- Shamil
> >
> > P.S. The above link is a part of Steven Sinofsky'S blog titled:
> >
> > "Building Windows 8: An inside look from the Windows engineering team"
> >
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/

<<< skipped >>>