[AccessD] Dvorak's rant on Windows 8

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jun 10 19:54:41 CDT 2012

 > Yes, JWC has a great hardware environment but is it a must have for every developer to be
competitive these days? I suppose it's not.

It absolutely is not.  It is necessary for handling the volumes of data I have.  I have almost 700
million records now that I am pushing out of my SQL Server databases every month, running through
Address validation and pulling them back in.  I use 4 VMs to simultaneously run the third party
software, and a 5th VM to run my custom app to perform the magic.

For development I actually run a VM with Windows 2003 X32.  Why?  Because Visual Studio Edit and
Continue doesn't run on X64, and X64 is actually slower in most cases (in the dev environment).

So I use a lowly X32 VM with 4 gigs of RAM for my app running directly in Visual Studio as I debug
and work my app.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away