[AccessD] The wonderful thing about Linux...

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 14 12:03:34 CDT 2012

Hi John:

The closest I have to a Raspberry PI is from a series of articles
originating from their site, that instructed how to set up a virtual RPI.
The Debian Linux I have in it is very small, with very limited features but
it is not actually like the highly compiled version you will get on the real
RPI.

I have been using it to try and learn Python. If you do decide to go that
route you will have to increase the recommended size limit as full Python
libraries eat up a lot of room. Below is a series of links I posted on the
DBA Tech list last year.

The following links will instruct you how to emulate a virtual Raspberry:

<comment>
Raspberry PI is launching in just a few week. For those of you who want to
get ready here is a way you can do so. The OS of the Raspberry is a highly
optimized and compiled version of Fedora Linux which is compiled for the
specific hardware and will not work on another device.

But you can setup a virtual drive on your PC, install Debian Linux and
configure it in a very similar method to how the Raspberry PI will run.
Below is a set of tutorials on how to accomplish this and even how to do
some game programming, on the new computer. It is simple, has a very small
foot-print, can install on any PC with a few Megabytes of room. (These
tutorials are very educational and can be used to train further...)

Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix launches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoSt1VP5kVY

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 1 - An Introduction to Debian Linux
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=28CqDKjtppg

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 2 - Snapshots, VirtualBox Guest Additions & Installing
Packages.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=po0FvGRXPmw&feature=endscreen

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 3 - Hello World, Geany and Python
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=SXmYIAGwpe4

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 4 - Coding Style and more Python
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVVLlUb7vhE&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 5 - An introduction to Game Development, PyGame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=UeGzh4zAPyY

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 6 - Your first game with PyGame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=h4jgpsB8EbQ

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 7 - Object Oriented Game Programming with Python and
PyGame http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=seUxf-AxyzE

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 8 - Finishing off PiShooter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=heZtzABZANU&NR=1

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 9 - Starting Pi Snake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=z0cxLJY1Vzo

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 10 - Feeding PiSnake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQublWVxmM&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 11 - Snake Segments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XI-3mwhLtY&feature=related

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 12 - A Moving Snake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5PeMTImEkg&feature=related

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 13 - Eating Food
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R18zZkHzDP0&feature=related

Raspberry Pi Tutorial 14 - Snake Collisions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6P9ajDOEcM&feature=related
</comment>

Have fun
Jim