[AccessD] Fw: Office 365 Re: You Guys make Me Sick

Doug Murphy dw-murphy at cox.net
Sat Jun 23 18:16:32 CDT 2012

I don't really consider Office 365 in its current version "true  cloud
computing". It offers crippled versions of Office products and a kludge for
running Access web apps, which have limited functionality. The only part of
interest to me for doing real work is that you can use it for a back end for
a real Access application. When connected to the web the application synchs
with the SharePoint lists. When off line you can still work on your desktop
app. This could be great for folks on the road if you're not talking big
data.

Using current technology, i.e.,  ASP.NET and JavaScript, I can create an app
that will run on anything with a web browser, but for a lot more development
cost than an Access application, and you need to be connected full time. But
the cost of running the application for all users is a modest hosting
account not $ per user as with Office 365.

Office 365 and the cloud have a way to go in my probably biased view.

Doug