[AccessD] Office 365 Re: You Guys make Me Sick

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Sun Jun 24 19:10:30 CDT 2012

We use Office 365, but more as a hybrid type setup - I have also helped a couple of small businesses (5-6 employees type places) with their O365 setups.

I would say first and foremost the maximum value for many small businesses in Office 365 is with Outlook, closely followed by OneNote and then the ability to use Sharepoint lists as a simple database.

Effectively having your own Outlook Exchange server which is always online, accessible via your desktop plus any mobile platform (iPhone/Pad, Android and Windows) and being able to run Outlook just like the big corporates do is very useful for these people - the live sync has proven to be very good, pretty much instant.  Lync is also a popular tool with the few businesses I personally know who I have helped set up O365 for.

They all love OneNote - Being in the consulting business they all take a lot of notes.  OneNote allows them to store the notes on the server and be able to share/access them where and when they are needed.  This alone has added huge productivity gains, along with the ability to share calendars and documents.

As for dev on the platform.  All the dev stuff I have done has been on the sharepoint side - setting up lists, permissions and workflows.  Given it is dead easy to push data to and from sharepoint in your desktop client of Office 2010 I haven't had a problem with needing to do native stuff on O365 alone yet - it is faster to push it to the desktop and use your native Office 365.  Maybe that day will come where it will all be cloud?

Anyway - To day O365 has been a largely positive experience for the folks I know who use it.  Maybe we have just gotten lucky as I am sure not everyone has good things to say, but for I know it has made a huge difference to a couple of business here and made their working experience a lot better and more efficient.

Cheers
Darryl.