[AccessD] OT: Gotta love it

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jun 27 08:59:37 CDT 2012

I was rebuilding my sql server yesterday and I accidentally selected Standard edition instead of
enterprise.  I'm using it for awhile and suddenly notice that it only displays 32 gigs of usable
memory in task manager.  Computer properties displays 64 gigs.

I knew that I had 64g installed so I had set SQL Server to use 64g so it was taking everything (as
it normally does).  All OS kind of stuff (browsers, explorer etc)  is painfully sloooow... as every
time anything needs memory it has to ask SQL Server to release some memory.

I kept going to computer properties to see my memory.  It took awhile to click that I had installed
Standard Edition.  Of course I was doing this on too little sleep...

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it