[AccessD] Exchange Rate - Currency Converter thingy

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Fri Jun 29 11:43:55 CDT 2012

Hi Jack --

Short note: Glad you liked it, my pleasure! :)

-- Shamil

-----------------------

Longer note:

Hi Jack, Gustav and All --

> My interest in the xmlhttp and DomDocument were
> an attempt to use these with vba (and answer Darren's post).
Yes, that's clear.
> Glad to see that Shamil has more free/idle time than JC
I guess I don't - but I don't need keeping tuning/rebuilding such a powerful hardware "park" as JC does - so I can spend my free/idle time on "musing on software coding techniques" :) ... > Happy to see alternatives.
Glad you liked them. In fact  IMO what we're doing here in our free/idle(?) time is investing in our own and this community software development techniques knowledge accumulation or I'd call it, this knowledge accrual process, getting often a shape of conglomeration of, on first glance unrelated "knowledge bits", I'd call it even knowledge stockpiling as one never knows when that hoarded  knowledge will pay back, but it will, I'm sure...

...and I'm planning (if free/idle time will allow) to continue such a musing in coding in dba-VB as C#/VB.NET give many more options to solve the same task "the most straightforward yet effective and flexible way", which always depends on many factors as Gustav noted - and the factor of "order of ignorance" (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?OrdersOfIgnorance) is often the main one - and by musing in coding here I'm lowering my own order/level of ignorance trying to get at the 4th level of competence (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?FourLevelsOfCompetence) in the software development areas, which are or could be useful in my everyday professional practice...

Stay tuned...

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Fri, 29 Jun 2012 08:33:50 -0400 от jack drawbridge <jackandpat.d at gmail.com>:

Hi guys,

My interest in the xmlhttp and DomDocument were an attempt to use these
with vba (and answer Darren's post). I could find no vba samples
interacting with these and it seemed (perhaps I am the naive one) that it
should be available/doable. I did find some Excel vba specific examples.

Glad to see that Shamil has more free/idle time than JC to show us several
ways to get the exchange rate (parse XML).
???How do these guys have the time(stamina) to rebuild multi gig servers,
latest HW, understand the details of all these languages, respond(with
examples) to a variety of questions, and still have time to make a living,
and maintain family life???

I did see samples where people treated the xml (or html in many cases) as a
plain text string and began using InStr, Mid etc, (head-down brute force)
but did not use any constructs (xml parser,XSL,??? etc).

Happy to see alternatives.

Jack