[AccessD] OT: Network speeds

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Mar 17 22:13:21 CDT 2012

It is not cat 6, in fact the whole house is cat 5.

I have a pair of "servers", one of which really is - dual cpu 16 core 64 gig ram.  That is at the
far end in the basement under the living room.  In that same location is a former workstation which
is now my unraid file server.  They plug into a gigabit switch.  Coming off of that is a wifi
hotspot (router with the dns turned off serving wifi) sitting in the drop ceiling in the basement,
under the living room floor providing wifi to the front part of the house.  Another cable going off
to a small 100 mbit switch upstairs behind my TV.

In the middle is another gigabit switch about 80 feet (of cable) at the place where the internet
comes in to the house.  So that switch basically has a cable from the above mentioned servers, a
cable from my router / wifi (which is of course 100 mbit) and a cable going upstairs two floors to
my home office.  At my office end is another "server" and my workstation laptop.  That has a gigabit
switch and a wifi hotspot (router with the DNS turned off just serving wifi).

(1st floor Living room / end of house)
100 mb sw behind tv >WMC TV (computer / tv)

(basement under living room)
gb sw 	>SQL Server (computer) Win 2008 x64
	>Unraid file server (computer)
	>wifi hotspot

(basement Middle of house)
gb sw	>Internet router / Wifi > Wife's laptop (computer)
	>Living room public PC (computer)
	>gb sw Back bedroom >WMC (computer / tv)

(2nd floor office end of house)
gb sw	>VM Server (computer) Win 2008 X46
	>Dev workstation laptop (computer)
	>Wifi hotspot
	>Old workstation laptop (computer)

I have done file transfers on the SQl Server from disk to disk and get 150-400 mbytes / sec.  This
is all either SSD raid or raid 6 hard disk.

I have done file transfers on the VM server on the other end of the house.  Again very good speeds,
150 MB / sec or better.  Raid controllers or SSD.

But between these two machines... 10 MB / sec transfers.  It certainly looks to me like the LAN.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it