[AccessD] OT: Where is my recycle bin

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Mar 23 07:57:19 CDT 2012

I received another "database from hell" from a vendor on a usb external Freeagent Goflex drive.  The
data file was 24 gigs compressed, 250 gigs uncompressed, 90% compression ratio.  I went out to look
at the size of the drive and it is 1 tb but it shows that it has 111 gigs on it.

Hmmm...

My file is only 24 gigs, what is the rest.

Poking around I discovered that there is a $Recycle.Bin with 80.1 gigs in it.  I was mildly amused
that they would send me a drive with so much stuff in the recycle bin so I went in to look at what
it was and ... hmmm...

*it is MY recycle stuff*

There are four recycle bins inside of the recycle.bin folder.

The first shows 40 gigs in the right click properties wizard.
The second shows 8.07 gigs
The third shows 31.0 gig
The fourth shows 4 kbytes,  although it shows actual files which would total many gigabytes.

The question of course is, are these files actually on the goflex disk?  It would appear so based on
the fact that the disk has 80 gigs more than the data they sent me.

And how did my recycle bin stuff get on this disk?  I only hooked it up last night before I went to
a meeting to start pulling that file off onto my server.

What the heck is going on here?

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it