[AccessD] OT: Shopping for a new comp

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat May 5 11:47:14 CDT 2012

Hi Gustav:

I would suggest the Asus G74SX series.

Supports up to 16GB of RAM and a addition 3GB of separate video memory,
Intel 7i multi-core CPU, two hard drive bays and can manage up to 2TB, 1GB
LAN and all with a special cooling system. It has a long life 8 cell battery
(up to 6 to 8 hours at full load) and all the slots/ports and even an
external eSata port. (Optical drive, high speed Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI, DVI,
fingerprint reader, Express card, Smart card, Web Cam and so on...)

This unit is more like a portable server than just a work station. It also
comes with an unlimited 1 years warranty (drop it or even pour coffee on it
and it is covered) there is also an extended warranty of up to 5 years. If
you buy the unit via something like a VISA charge card the full warranty
period is doubled.

The price runs between $999 and $1,499 but the equivalent Mac will cost
about $3000 to $3500 and, as far as I know, Apple only sells desktop
stations that are that powerful. (A Mac can virtualize Windows but it runs
much slower and unstable.)

HTH
Jim