[AccessD] AC2010-a pioneer with more arrows in the back...

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun May 13 16:48:26 CDT 2012

To answer your first question - because this way you only have to do it once.

Take an invoice line for example.  You need to store Qty, UnitPrice, IsTaxable.

Rather than having to create a LineTotal function on every form and report or a calcuated
field in every query you use, you can just create a calculated field once in the table and use it
where required.   You are effectively removing business login from the UI to the data level.

It's the same reason you embed business logic in SQL Server stored procedures rather than
in the UI.

It's not about what the "user" thinks.   The "user" shouldn't know anything about the way data
is stored or calculated.  It is an additional programmer tool.

--
Stuart