[AccessD] MS Access Table Relationships

Benson, William (GE Global Research, consultant) Benson at ge.com
Sun May 13 17:17:42 CDT 2012

I am trying to understand the MS Access relationships window.

I have two sample tables, with just one field in them. MS seems to make a conclusion on the relationship type based on the field properties, as follows:

(1) When the field I am trying to relate is indexed and no duplicates allowed, for both tables, it is one-to-one
(2) When the field I am trying to relate is indexed with no dupes in one, and anything else in the other table, I get Many-to-One.
(3) When neither field is indexed in such a way as to preclude duplicates, the relationship is "Indeterminate"

When I play with the field properties of the table in design view, the relationship type field in the Edit Relationship window updates right away. But the 1 symbol and the infinity symbol do not seem to update right away. I had non-unique indexes in the tables at one point, related them, then changed the tables to both have unique indexes on the field I was relating. The relationship type updated to one to one, but the infinity symbol was still there til I deleted the relationship and readded it.