[AccessD] Stunning...

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue May 15 17:12:20 CDT 2012

Your numbers didn't look right,  1 degree covers a lot more thean on 24 millionth of the sky.
(And which "it" comes first in your second sentence <v>)

So I checked :-)

The HDF covers an area of  5.3 square arcminutes   Allowing for the missing blocks (3/16) in
the square image, that means that it covers about 2.4 arcminutes per side.

The moon subtends about 1/2 a degree (54 arc minutes).  Being round, that means that it
cvers about 170 square arcminutes ( 54 x pi)

So  the HDB covers an area of about 1/30th of the moons visible disk.  You could fit about 10
HDFs images across the "equator" of an image of the  moon on the same scale.

The HUDF is actually a bit larger in coverage than the HDF  (about 3 arcminutes across or 9
square arcminutes in total)

Your one 24 millionth of the total area of the sky is correct, the HUDF covers about one 13
millionth.

--
Stuart