[AccessD] Conflict Between "Group On" and Dynamic Sort

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Wed May 16 13:19:17 CDT 2012

All,

We have a number of Access 2007 Reports that utilize what we call
"Dynamic Sorts" (the ability to sort the data on the report after the
report is displayed (Report View).

To do this, we simply have one or more "ascending" buttons and
"descending" buttons on the reports that have VBA code such as

Me.OrderBy = "CUSTNAME"
Me.OrderByOn = True

This works nicely and is very easy to implement.

Recently, we implemented a new report that has a "Group On" in order to
group all Sales Order Detail Lines for a single sales order.  This works
nicely. (There is no dynamic sort on this report)

So far, so good.

Now the users have asked that we add a dynamic sort to this new report
that has the "Group On".

The "Group On" is based on the Sales Order Number.  The users would like
to be able to have a dynamic sort on "Customer Name".

>From some initial tests and experiments, I can't see how we can have
both the "Group On" and a dynamic sort.  Maybe I am missing something
here.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Brad