[AccessD] Blatt or other email

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon May 21 16:07:29 CDT 2012

Hi John:

First thing that must happen is that either BLAT must be in the path or its
address must be specified. (It does not use the registry as a pointer)

Second thing, is that the computer on which it is running must have internet
capabilities and an appropriate ISP provider.

Below is a copy of one line that I use from an overnight backup process
which informs me of a process failure as well as the companies manager.

blat C:\temp\bkupfail.html -to accessd at shaw.ca -bcc dogbert at shawlink.ca

I put the BLAT exe in the computers " C:\WINDOWS\system32 " directory so the
application is always in the path, I am sending myself a web page, called "
bkupfail.html ", listing the errors, to both myself " accessd at shaw.ca " and
to the company's manager " dogbert at shawlink.ca " (not the real name).

Here is a slightly more complex batch I build and run from an Access DB.
Blat is not on the server but there is a copy on every computer as a
different company does this client's server management, as all the desktops
are set for continuous backup (don't look at me talk to the server support),
I push the product up into memory and set it to run five tries (It will keep
trying until it succeeds or six trys is attempted, incase multiple events
cause instability, attach an invoice PDF file, send the file to the client
and the office accountant and track the transaction through a local file
called "mail.log". Note: I use the ISPs mail server is "
shawmail.gv.shawcable.net " as I do not want the local exchange server to
control the output.

"C:\Temp\PDFFiles\Blat.exe" -install shawmail.gv.shawcable.net
dilbertconstruction at dilbert.ca 5
"C:\Temp\PDFFiles\Blat.exe" C:\temp\PDFFiles\Invoices\temp.txt -subject "Re:
Invoice 1334 from Project 655" -attach
"C:\temp\PDFFiles\Invoices\Invoice1334.pdf" -to filbertgrape at shaw.ca -from
dilbertconstruction at dilbert.ca -server shawmail.gv.shawcable.net
"C:\Temp\PDFFiles\Blat.exe" C:\temp\PDFFiles\Invoices\temp.txt -subject "Re:
Invoice 1334 from Project 655  Duplicate copy" -attach
"C:\temp\PDFFiles\Invoices\Invoice1334.pdf" -to accountant at dilbert.ca -from
dilbertconstruction at dilbert.ca -log mail.log -debug -timestamp  -server
shawmail.gv.shawcable.net

You can also use text files if you are sending out copies to multiple
addresses.

HTH
Jim