[AccessD] Another software disaster...

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Mon May 21 17:03:57 CDT 2012

While it is certainly possible they are running off old mainframes, it isn't unusual for stock exchanges to be modernised. Contractors and companies in this space get paid ludicrous amounts of money to upgrade systems to handle ever increasing loads and micro transactions to handle high frequency trading done automatically by computers.

The London Stock Exchange had to scrap a botched and unstable £40 million upgrade of their systems based on C#, .NET and SQL server by Microsoft and Accenture. They've now successfully replaced it with SUSE Linux and are trading faster than anyone else at the moment.

http://mobile.computerworlduk.com/news/open-source/3260727/london-stock-exchange-in-historic-linux-go-live/

So, it's very possible that it's not running on such old technology, but rather new technology. But, as we all know, all new technology brings the possibility of problems, bugs and glitches.

- Hans

Sent from my iPhone