[AccessD] Running Access 2003 and 2010 on same PC

Doug Murphy dw-murphy at cox.net
Fri Nov 2 12:30:26 CDT 2012

My original response on this thread may have been too brief. My approach to
versioning is to use Virtual Machines. I use VM Ware Workstation which I
depend on daily. Have several different servers set up plus all versions of
Windows back to 98 and office to 97. I use most of this for software testing
but do development on some also depending on client requirements. I started
with VM Ware on my last computer a 7 year old Pentium with 3 G of memory.
Worked fine and would run as host with 2 VMs running. New computer is I7
with 12 G.  I have not used Virtual Box but several folks have reported good
service from it. It is free. I previously had several machines with various
versions of office etc for test and development. Virtual machines have
eliminated this requirement. Also great for client problem testing as I can
duplicate their OS and Office versions.

Sagekey gets around the versioning issue for their runtime installations by
using a little startup exe that sets the registry for the version they are
starting and then resetting to what was there before their application
started.