[AccessD] Need for an Access programmer

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Nov 30 07:21:06 CST 2012

<<My point is not to say I am or am not worth the money (some days yes,
definitely - some days, no way!), but what I DO say is, if you have *proved*
yourself invaluable and indispensable, why reduce(!!) your rate - jack it
up!!>>

You can do that if you treat each client differently, but even then you
might have a problem if two clients ever decide to exchange notes. You'll
end up with a lot of explaining to do if  one finds out that they are being
charged considerably more then someone else.  I've found that happens more
often then I would have thought, especially when you use one client as a
referral for another.

If you do treat everyone the same, then in raising your rate based on one
client and your worth to them, you may price yourself out of the market for
a lot of other potential clients.

It guess it boils down to how you want to bill; based on value offered or as
a commodity?  I take the viewpoint that I'm a commodity.  While I've never
had a client replace me yet with someone else, I certainly don't consider
myself indispensable for the type of work I do.

<<This whole discussion has been amusing to me to see so many different
perspectives.>>

 That's why this list is so valuable; different strokes for different folks.

Jim.