[AccessD] OT: Meet, Play, Follow & Contribute: TypeScript - an open-source "Object-OrientedJavaScript" from MS..

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 5 13:40:22 CDT 2012

Hi Gustav:

Noting; that translators and interpreters of another language never produce
as effective code as native development.

When discussing websites there are two distinct areas of development; the
presentation FE and the BE, intelligence and database management. When
producing the FE for a website, being able to code directly in JS or being
able to call upon highly-efficient JS libraries is superior. After all, the
only language that a browser understands is JavaScript.

When programming strictly in VS using ASP.Net the resultant code is a huge
kludge. (I presume that all the other languages that produce " idiomatic
JavaScript " create similar kludges) These assemblers are very effective
ways of quickly hacking together a "functional" prototype design for viewing
and discussing. OTOH, from experience, on any single webpage, a 1000 lines
of generated code can be rendered down to something between 50 and 100 lines
of clean code and much prettier as well. The code generated also has a
pre-disposition to make a server call for every desktop browser page change,
no matter how small, which is highly inefficient.

This is of course is no concern if you have unlimited band-width and similar
server resources or just working on your own network. One of the most
frustrating things for your clients, is having to wait while each page
change requires a call back to the server and another whole page refresh.

If you do it right, your bandwidth or your client's desktop does not have to
be large and your servers do not have to have massive resources...but this
will require a carefully and most likely manually assembled or intervention
of your FE and even your BE development.

Further observation; can I assume Scott Koon, is most likely a desktop
developer and probably is not a web designer?

Jim