[AccessD] Unstable Oracle Connection

Benson, William (GE Global Research, consultant) Benson at ge.com
Wed Sep 12 21:42:15 CDT 2012

Reading I have done on this topic says you have to attempt to make use of the open connection (such as trying to open a recordset with error handling) in order to test if the opened connection remains valid / usable.

Oh well.

Additionally, I noticed through observation but did not find in the reading, that the connection state is not useful. That tells you whether you have opened or closed the connection but doesn't tell you how the connection is doing. On the other hand I did find a connection status property in the locals window when examining the connection object after it was active.

When I signed out of the VPN, that did not change the connection status, however, when I attempted to open a recordset, and after the error message due to the non-available connection was trapped, I saw that the connection status property then changed from 1 to 2.