[AccessD] The list

Robert Stewart rls at WeBeDb.com
Mon Sep 17 08:39:28 CDT 2012

For my part, I rarely pipe in any more either.  My latest "claim to fame"
in the MS Access world was creating an application that would allow
an end user to define MS Excel workbooks in MS Access.  Take a query
and built an Excel workbook from it.  The definition of the workbook was
down to the cell level where the user could define the background color,
font, border, etc.  Then, I did close to the same for PowerPoint, allowing
the user to define slide shows in MS Access and creating them using
automation.

Cross automation of Office products using MS Access and the data contained
within it (or in my case, a SQL Server DB), is about the only really
creative thing
that I could think of left to do with it.

At 08:15 AM 9/17/2012, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:15:17 -0400
>From: "Jim Dettman" <jimdettman at verizon.net>
>To: "'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'"
>         <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
>Subject: Re: [AccessD] The list
>
>Tony,
>
><<I have rarely seen  a new problem solved and yes I
>will include myself.  I think you and myself have become dinosaurs. There
>are so many brilliant minds on this list and all that knowledge is being
>wasted.>>
>
>  Part of the issue is that there really is nothing new, so there's more OT
>and chatter then in the past.
>
>  Access is now a mature product and in one form or another, we've all been
>down the various paths many times.  Microsoft hasn't done all that much for
>developers in the last few releases.  Everything added has been mostly
>geared towards the end user, while age old problems such as references in
>VBA and lack of support for 3rd party controls has not been addressed.
>
>  So nothing really new to explore since A2003; a ten year gap.  Yeah there's
>been some odd's and end's, like attachment fields, but that has been only of
>minor excitement.
>
>  There is some new frontier to be conquered with the forth coming Office 13,
>so I'd expect to see some new life in the list, but I think that will be
>short lived.  Again, Access is being geared towards the end user and in that
>regard, the writing's been on the wall for quite some time.
>
>  So I can sympathize with your sentiments and I too for the most part now
>ignore the list.  Stuff that is OT is not even flagged OT anymore.
>
>Jim.

Robert L. Stewart
www.WeBeDb.com
www.DBGUIDesign.com